Long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, was a plethora of space opera movies which changed the landscape for cinematography forever, ushering in a new era of sci-fi genres and themes. People will come to know this billion dollar franchise as Star Wars.
This year, we are rewarded with yet again another Star Wars movie, which is not a sequel or a prequel, but a pre-sequel called Rogue One. Rogue One is directed by Gareth Edwards and is part of the upcoming Star Wars Anthology series of movies, with a Han Solo movie coming up in the next few years.
Coming back to Rogue One, this is one of the most exciting break yet from the usual Star Wars tradition, as it focuses more on the side characters which you would have only heard of or referenced in the animation or movies, but never fully explained and coming as the middle ground between Revenge of The Sith and A New Hope, Rogue One serves as a way for old and new fans to bridge the divide.
The story follows how Jyn Erso, daughter of Galen Erso (Death Star scientist) becomes part of the catalyst that sets up the story for A New Hope, by stealing the Death Star blueprints. She is joined by a full myriad of characters from the Rebels as well as some cameos from popular Star Wars faces.
The movie portrays itself differently as it starts with no rolling intro, nor the famous theme song(albeit a slightly altered version is played instead). There are also scarce amounts of lightsaber battles which does this movie justice, because it’s not a movie about Jedi’s and Siths. We get Darth Vader back, at the height of his power, voiced by James Earl Jones. And as always, you will not be disappointed as there are big battle scenes both from space and land.
Here are some interesting things to look out for in Rogue One:
- Look at the background closely, as easter eggs from the Star Wars Lore are everywhere.
- Cameos are both obvious and subtle, and it is rewarding to appease your inner geek by finding the hidden characters
- Words have extra weight, when you listen closely as it shapes up the story for the original trilogy
- Bask in the glory of the space lighting and lightplay
- For new fans, there are a few characters in the movie that are not what they seem, enjoy.